$20bn: I Might Have Been Suspended But You Can Not Suspend The Truth… Sanusi Blows Hot Again

sanusi2

The man who blew open the corruption saga that rocked the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Emir Muhammed Sanusi, has once again reaffirmed that the NNPC failed to remit billions of dollars to the federation account.

Sanusi explained this further in a piece he wrote for Financial Times yesterday. Read his full write up after the cut.

Just over a year ago President Goodluck Jonathan suspended me from my position as governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria after I questioned an estimated $20bn shortfall in oil revenues due to the treasury from the state oil company. As I said then, you can suspend a man, but you cannot suspend the truth. The publication last month of a PwC audit into the “missing billions” brings us a step closer to it.

When I was central bank governor I raised three broad questions. First, did the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation remit to the government the entire proceeds of its crude oil sales? Second, if it did not, is there proof of the purpose to which the unremitted amounts were applied? And third, did NNPC have the legal authority to withhold these funds?

Contrary to the claims of petroleum minister Diezani Alison-Madueke, the audit report does not exonerate the NNPC. It establishes that the gap between the company’s oil revenues between January 2012 and July 2013 and cash remitted to the government for the same period was $18.5bn. And it goes into detail about the NNPC’s account of how it used that money, which raises serious questions about the legality of the state oil company’s conduct.

The auditors say a significant part of the unremitted funds is supposed to have gone towards a kerosene subsidy that had been stopped two and a half years earlier by the late President Umaru Yar’Adua. His decree never appeared in the official gazette, leading some to question whether it ever had legal force.

Evidence disclosed in the report suggests this is a sideshow. The executive secretary of the agency charged with administering subsidies confirmed that, acting on Yar’Adua’s orders, it had ceased granting subsidies on kerosene. There was no appropriation for such a subsidy in the 2012 or 2013 budgets.

Throughout all this, Nigerians paid 120-140 naira a litre of kerosene, far more than the supposed subsidised price of 50 naira. Yet the state oil company withheld $3.4bn to pay for a subsidy that in effect did not exist. I have consistently held that this was a scam that violated the constitution and siphoned off money from the treasury.

The second major item raised in the report relates to the transfer of oil assets belonging to the federation to the Nigerian Petroleum Development Company, a subsidiary of the NNPC.

NPDC has paid $100m for these assets, from which it extracted crude valued at $6.8bn but paid tax and royalties worth $1.7bn in the period scrutinised by the auditors.

PwC was unable to establish how much of the remaining $5.1bn should have been remitted to the government. But the report showed that, along with the private companies NPDC partnered with, it was extracting crude worth billions of dollars but yielding very little revenue for the treasury. I was investigating related transactions when I was suspended.

The third major item is a claim of $2.8bn by NNPC for expenses not directly attributable to crude oil operations; PwC said “clarity is required” on whether such upfront deductions from remittances to the federation accounts are allowed, or whether the money should have been remitted to the government. Finally, there are duplicated ex­penses, “unsubstantiated” costs, computation “errors” and tax shortfalls; a total of $1.48bn has to be refunded.

Of the $18.5bn in revenues that the state oil company did not send to the government, about $12.5bn appears by my calculations to have been diverted. And this relates only to a random 19-month period, not the five-year term of Mr Jonathan, the outgoing president.

Nigerians did not vote for an amnesty for anyone. The lines of investigation suggested by this audit need to be pursued. Any officials found responsible for involvement in this apparent breach of trust must be charged.

The Emir of Kano, Muhammed Sanusi, who was governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria wrote this in Financial Times on 13 May

17 Comments

1. http://lijin338.com

June 17, 2015 at 10:41 am

Howdy! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my old room
    mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to him.

Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

2. workingportal.com

June 17, 2015 at 10:46 am

This site was… how do I say it? Relevant!!
    Finally I have found something which helped me. Many thanks!

3. project free tv

June 18, 2015 at 12:46 am

It is the best time to make some plans for the
    future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could
    I wish to suggest you some interesting things or advice.
    Maybe you could write next articles referring to
    this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

4. london escorts agency

June 18, 2015 at 1:56 am

Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your blog.
    You have some really great posts and I believe I would be a good
    asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off,
    I’d really like to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back
    to mine. Please send me an e-mail if interested. Thanks!

5. Your method of explaining everything in this piece of writing is
    actually nice, every one can effortlessly know it, Thanks a lot.

6. mortal kombat x hack

June 19, 2015 at 3:42 am

Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored to death at work
    so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch
    break. I really like the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone ..
    I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, good
    site!

7. website here

June 19, 2015 at 4:43 am

Thankyou for the information

8. aire acondicionado split

June 20, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Equiparado con el modelo usual AQV09TSB de Samsung.

9. Evonne

June 20, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Zelanda, Países Bajos, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú,
    Polonia, Portugal, RAE de Hong Kong, Unido, R. , No more chinese
    ideograms., Camerún, Canadá, Catar, Chad, Chile,
    China, Chipre, Colombia, Comoras, Congo, Congo (RDC), Corea del Sur, C.
    , Guinea-Bisáu, Guyana, Haití, Honduras, Hungría, India,
    Indonesia, Irak, Irán, Irlanda, Marshall,
    I. , República Centroafricana, Rep. , Para poder ejecutar
    dconf-editor antes hay que instalarlo. , Omán, Países Bajos, Pakistán, Panamá, Paraguay,
    Perú, Polonia, Portugal, Real Academia Española de la ciudad de Hong Kong, R.

, R. , Échale un ojo a la web que te dejo acá., Omán, Países Bajos,
    Pakistán, Paraguay, Perú, Polonia, Portugal, Real Academia Española de la ciudad
    de Hong Kong, Unido, República Checa, Verde, Camboya, Camerún, Canadá, Probar, Chad, Chile, China, Chipre, Colombia,
    Comoras, Congo, Congo (RDC), Corea del Sur, Ecuatorial, Guyana, Haití, Honduras, Hungría, India, Indonesia, Irak, Irlanda, Islandia, I.
    , Marshall, Islas Salomón, Omán, Países Bajos, Pakistán, Palaos,
    Panamá, Papúa Nueva Guinea, Paraguay, Perú, Polonia, Portugal, Real Academia Española de Hong Kong, R.

, República Centroafricana, Checa, A lo largo de la
    Edad Media, el árabe literario era un vehiculo esencial de la cultura en Europa, de
    forma especial en la ciencia, las matematicas y la filosofia.
    , Camerún, Canadá, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoras, Congo, Congo
    (RDC), Corea del Sur, Costa Rica, Guinea-Bisáu, Guyana, Haití,
    Honduras, India, Indonesia, Irlanda, I. , Islas Salomón, República Centroafricana,
    Dominicana, Camerún, Canadá, Catar, Chad, Chile, China, Chipre, Colombia,
    Comoras, Congo, Congo (RDC), C. , Guinea-Bisáu, Guyana, Haití, Honduras, Hungría, India, Indonesia, Irak, Irlanda, Marshall, Unido,
    República Centroafricana, Rep. , Sin embargo,
    no cuenta con el perfil de interfaz de usuario (HID) por lo que no le va a ser posible reconocer ningún género de teclado., Omán, Países Bajos, Pakistán, Palaos, Panamá, Papúa Nueva Guinea, Paraguay, Perú,
    Polonia, Portugal, RAE de la ciudad de Hong Kong, Reino Unido, Omán, Países
    Bajos, Palaos, Panamá, Papúa Nueva Guinea, Paraguay, Perú, Polonia, Portugal, RAE de Hong Kong, R.

10. Adjunto 3 fotos donde estimar la gran diferencia entre una puerta
    blindada de ochocientos euros y una puerta de seguridad de dos.000€.

11. chimeneas de hadas en españa

June 20, 2015 at 9:15 pm

En el momento en que la llama este en su máximo esplendor añadiremos un combustible de
    mayor dureza, como leña de encina, briquetas de leña, lignito mineral, etc.

12. gratis spilleautomater

June 20, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.

You obviously know what youre talking about, why
    throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to
    your site when you could be giving us something enlightening
    to read?

13. automobile accident lawyer

June 21, 2015 at 7:02 am

No, this article is about helping you understand your legal
    options so you can get through your divorce with as little damage as possible.
    If the above has happened to you during the past 2. Here are the basic types of bankruptcy and how they are typically used.

14. best earbuds 2015

June 21, 2015 at 11:08 am

I am sure this article has touched all the internet visitors, its really really fastidious post on building up new weblog.

15. Gabriella

June 21, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Llamen al limpiachimeneas responsable de su zona a fin de que controle la adecuada instalación del aparato, la conexión a la chimenea y
    la ventilación.

16. Irma

June 22, 2015 at 10:50 am

I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles
    or blog posts in this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this web site.
    Reading this info So i am satisfied to exhibit that I have a very good uncanny
    feeling I discovered exactly what I needed.
    I such a lot indubitably will make certain to do not put out of your mind this site and provides it a look on a constant basis.

17. LONDON ESCORTS

June 22, 2015 at 4:09 pm

You’ve made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for more information about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this
    web site.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login